What can I say about this Spinach Artichoke Dip, it is extremely creamy and cheesy, very flavorful and highly addictive. If you bring this to a party, this dip will be requested from you for all future events. If you make it for yourself at home, you may be eating Spinach Artichoke Dip for the rest of the night without being able to stop until the bowl is empty. Whoever you make it for, this dip will be a hit.
This was supposed to be a Crab Spinach Artichoke Dip but I bought the wrong crab 😒 But that is OK! I have made it both ways and they both are still very delicious which is why the crab is now kind of optional. The crab version has that additional seafood flavor and chunks of crab meat that just makes extra tasty. But if you want to save some dollars or be considerate of those who can’t eat seafood, the version without crab is just as great an option. The dip in the photos do not have crab in them but the dip in the video (which I will add later) has crab.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Don’t use the powdery type of Parmesan cheese, use the shreds.
- I used canned artichoke hearts in water but you can also use marinated artichoke hearts. No matter which one you use, be sure to drain them.
- You can use frozen or fresh spinach for this recipe but if using frozen, make sure you defrost it and squeeze all the excess water out.
- You can add the seasoning salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. I didn’t measure any of these ingredients so these are kind of estimates.
- If adding crab, do not use the cheap canned stuff! Use a decent quality crab meat. I used Handy’s crab meat, the claw type. You can use their lump crab meat as well, it will just be pricier.
- Finally, you can serve this with any dippers of your choice; bread, tortilla chips, crackers, baby carrots, celery sticks, you name it. Baguette is my favorite but when serving this it is nice to have options.
Spinach Artichoke Dip with Crab
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Montery jack cheese
- 14 oz artichoke hearts
- 3/4 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 12 oz crab meat (optional)
- Baguette, tortilla chips or veggies for serving
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Add cream cheese, sour cream, cheeses reserving half a cup, artichoke and spinach to a large bowl followed by garlic, seasoning salt, black pepper and cayenne. Mix until thoroughly combined. If using crab, mix it in enough to combine but don’t over mix.
Spread mixture in an oven safe dish then top with reserved cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Serve with bread, tortilla chips or veggies and enjoy!